The merged viewpoint occurs when you become the object of the observation. You become the subject of your observation, and you observe from the point of view of your subject. This is referred to as projective identification.
Projective identification can be purely fantasy:
- What's it like to be a potato about to become French fries?
- How does it feel like to be a gum stuck in a shoe?
- Imagine what it's like to be an ink cartridge.
- Seeing the situation through a laborer's eyes
- Getting inside the skin of an AIDS victim
- Being in the shoes of a chronically depressed person
Fantasy: What's it like to be a picture frame?
Empathetic: Being in the shoes of a petty thief.
Here's a list to try this creative method on. Write in the voice or perspective of the following:
- a banana about to go bad
- a woman unable to conceive
- a spare tire
- a harassed telephone operator
- a Band-Aid
- an owner whose business is about to go bankrupt
- a blank diskette
- a guy about to break up with his girlfriend
- a computer keyboard
- a woman about to give an answer to a marriage proposal
Copyright © Shery Ma Belle Arrieta-Russ
About Shery: Shery is the creator of WriteSparks!™- a software that generates over 10 *million* Story Sparkers for Writers. Download WriteSparks!™ Lite for free at http://writesparks.com